(+30) 22540 62101 | (+30) 22540 62104

Agios Ioannis, Kaspakas
Lemnos , 81400
Greece

Menu

Vacations In Lemnos Island

How to reach Lemnos:
Airline
- Daily flights connect the island of Lemnos to Athens, Thessaloniki and Mytilene.
For more information contact the airport at Spata (Tel. +30 210 3530000) or Myrina (Tel. +30 22 540 92 700, 92 701)
- Lemnos particular port of Myrina connect with regular service to the port of Piraeus, Thessaloniki, Kavala, Mytilene. Also, the island is connected to Agios Efstratios and summer months at Samothrace.
For more information and routes: Piraeus Port Authority (tel. +30 210 4511311 - 19) Port of Myrina (Tel. +30 22 540 22 225)
Transportation within the island:
2 services running daily from Myrina in the communities of the island by bus, Lemnos, routes which were still confined to the mornings of weekdays and no weekend work. No more public transportation, but there are too many taxis that can meet the needs of residents and visitors.

Where to find us:
St. John, Kaspakas - Agios Ioannis, Kaspakas
Located 6 km north of Myrina Kaspakas is a small village situated on the slopes of Mount St. Athanasius and rammed into a ravine.
The village is invisible from the sea and this shows that it was rebuilt away from the beach for fear of pirates. The village name comes from the landowner and the Byzantine admiral Kaspakas, who lived in the area in 1200. It is the large village of Lemnos and the population reaches 950 inhabitants.
The area is famous among other things, figs and almonds it.
Below the village lies an extensive beach. The steep cliffs that rise to one side like a miniature of the rocks.
A little less than what the golden beach of Agios Ioannis Kaspakas with notable gulfs and bays, the sheltered bay which is attractive and beautiful part of the region.


lemnos_island_5_ayios_ioannis_kaspakas

What else will discover:
Myrina
Capital is Myrina, with a population around 6,000 people. It is built on the site of the ancient town. This is an extremely picturesque village with poplars, sycamores, eucalyptus and jujube trees, crowned by a castle which towers proudly over the two shores of the city.
The narrow cobbled streets, roofs of houses, old houses create a unique landscape and primitive casual beauty that one finds difficult today. The dozens of fishing boats in the harbor, the smells of restaurants serving fresh fish and fine local wines, make a picture of serenity, while a hedonistic paradise of the senses not easily forgotten.

lemnos_island_1_myrina

The city is divided into two camps: the "Chas" and "Andronis. The "Chas" is a Russian word that means plant and maintained by the years in which the brothers had Orlov Turks besiege the Castle of Myrina.
For the name of the settlement "Androni, there are two views. The first is based on the myth that Lemnos threw all the men of the island, because they had fled because of the stench of their own, from the Cape Petasos. This site was originally named "Androfonion" and later "Andronion (Androni). In the second scenario, the settlement was named by Andronikos III Palaiologos the.
The castle: It dates from the 12th AD century and was built on the ruins of earlier Pelasgians wall. Is a registered trademark of the settlement and the view is spectacular when illuminated at night. The view that is breathtaking and you can enjoy even the peninsula, which according to the verse of Sophocles' "scare away Limnia buff. In the castle freely around 200 deer are another special touch to the landscape. The current version dates from 1207, when the Venetians repaired rulers of the island.
The Romeikos Gialos: North of the castle is one of the two main districts of the city with magnificent neoclassical mansions, all built in the second half of the 19th century. It was the Greek quarter years of Ottoman rule and was named as opposed to the Turkish Yialos, located east of the castle and the place where the Turks lived. These houses testify to the power and wealth of the inhabitants of Lemnos who worked as traders in the cosmopolitan centers of the season, Odessa, Trieste and Alexandria.
The Archaeological Museum: The Romeikos Gialos is the Archaeological Museum, with very interesting exhibits from excavations of the Archaeological Service and the Italian Archaeological School. The rooms are very elegant and attentive impressed with the museum idea for the presentation of exhibits from prehistoric to Byzantine times. The museum contains the following collections:
- Prehistoric finds in Poliochni
- Archaic - Roman finds in Kaveirio
- Geometric - Hellenistic finds in Hephaestus
- Prehistoric discoveries in Koukonisi excavations in Lemnos.
The Ecclesiastical Museum: A short distance from the Metropolitan Building which houses the Museum of Church on the island with many dishes, icons, vestments and other sacred relics. Just beyond is the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity was built with money of Lemnos ship owners in place of an old wooden church, which was hanged in 1870 by the Turks on the island Archbishop Joachim.
The Temple of Artemis: Near the city is the Temple of Artemis, which came to light in 1993. The Sanctuary (in various phases of the Archaic to the Hellenistic period) than the main building has outdoor paved area, each of which there were rooms, auxiliary worship.

lemnos_island_2_myrina(Photo of the Kavala Port)

Lemnos (island)
Lemnos is located in northeastern Aegean and has beautiful sandy beaches, impressive archaeological sites and small villages that still keep the local flavor, friendly people. You can enjoy one of the most breathtaking sunsets Mt.
Beaches
The beaches of Lemnos might not find anywhere in the Aegean. Whether you want hot or cold water if you're a fan of sailing, Limnos is the place of your destination. Worth visiting:
- The "Shallow Waters" Myrina
- The road to Vlora Kaspakas
- Saint John the Kaspakas
- The beach Nefgatis after Thanos
- On the beach in the village of Plati
- The beach Thanos
- Keros village Kontopouli
- The Gomati at Sardis
- The beaches and Chavouli Fanaraki in Moudros.
- In Parthenomyto the Hagia Sophia
- The Red in Kaminia.
Sights
Myrina overlooking the Venetian Castle. There you can see dozens of deer range DAMA - DAMA.
Shortly after Sardis on the way to the beach Gomati, do not forget to visit the area "thick Beaches, an area reminiscent of the desert, surrounded by a lush landscape that you will not find anywhere else in Greece. Also, if the weather is helping off the coasts of East Lemnos, you can see very clearly Samothrace, Imbros and Tenedos yet.
Sites
1. In "Poliochni" must visit the oldest parliament in the world and one of the first organized societies in Europe.
2. The "volcano", according to mythology, was the seat of the god Hephaestus.
3. The "Kaveiria" which still remain mysterious rituals that was taking place there in ancient times.
4. In Kotsina believed to have buried his wife last Byzantine Emperor Constantine Paleologos




Useful Numbers

Police Myrina +30 22540 22200
Moudros Police Station +30 22540 71201
Port of Myrina +30 22540 22225
Airport +30 22540 92700 or 22540 92701
Myrina Hospital +30 22540 22222 or 22540 23333
Archaeological Museum +30 22540 22990 Myrina
Ecclesiastical Museum Myrina +30 22540 22225
Lemnos Province +30 22540 22996
Myrina Municipality +30 22540 22315 or 22540 23736


Lemnos from WikiPedia
Lemnos is mostly flat (hence its more than 30 sand beaches), but the west, and especially the northwest part, is rough and mountainous (highest elevation: Mount Vigla, 470 m). The chief towns are Myrina, on the western coast, and Moudros on the eastern shore of a large bay in the middle of the island. Myrina (also called Kastro, meaning "castle") possesses a good harbour, which is in the process of being upgraded through construction of a west-facing sea wall. It is the seat of all trade carried on with the mainland. The hillsides afford pasture for sheep, and Lemnos has a strong husbandry tradition, being famous for its feta and melipasto cheeses, and for its yoghurt. Fruit and vegetables that grow on the island includealmonds, figs, melons, watermelons, tomatoes, pumpkins and olives. The main crops are wheat, barley, sesame; in fact Lemnos was Constantinople's granary during Byzantine times. Lemnos also produces honey (from thyme-fed bees), but, as is the case with most products of a local nature in Greece, the produced quantities are little more than simply sufficient for the local market. Muscat grapes are grown widely, and are used to produce an unusual table wine that is dry yet has a strong Muscat flavor. Since 1985 the variety and quality of Lemnos wines have increased greatly. The island has an excellent airport, possessing a very long runway, capable of supporting Antonov carriers.

Mythic Lemnos
For ancient Greeks, the island was sacred to Hephaestus, god of metallurgy, who— as he tells himself inIliad I.590ff— fell on Lemnos when his father Zeus hurled him headlong out of Olympus. There, he was cared for by the Sinties, according to Iliad or by Thetis (Apollodorus, Bibliotheke I:3.5), and there with a Thracian nymph Cabiro (a daughter of Proteus) he fathered a tribe called the Kaberoi. Sacred initiatory rites dedicated to them were performed in the island.
Hephaestus' forge, which was located on Lemnos, as well as the name Aethaleia, sometimes applied to it, points to its volcanic character. It is said that fire occasionally blazed forth from Mosychlos, one of its mountains. The ancient geographer Pausanias relates that a small island called Chryse, off the Lemnian coast, was swallowed up by the sea. All volcanic action is now extinct.
The earliest inhabitants are said to have been a Thracian tribe, whom the Greeks called Sintians, "robbers". The name Lemnos is said by Hecataeus to have been applied in the form of a title to Cybele among the Thracians. The worship of Cybele was characteristic of Thrace, where it had spread from Asia Minor at a very early period. Hypsipyle and Myrina (the name of one of the chief towns) are Amazon names, which are always connected with Asiatic Cybele-worship.
According to the epitome of the Bibliotheke traditionally attributed to Apollodorus (Epitome I:9), when Dionysus found Ariadne abandoned on Naxos, he brought her to Lemnos and there fathered Thoas, Staphylus, Oenopion, and Peparethus. Pliny the Elder in his Natural History (xxxvi. 13) speaks of a remarkable labyrinth in Lemnos, which has not been identified in modern times.
According to a Hellenic legend, the women were all deserted by their husbands for Thracian women, and in revenge they murdered every man on the island. From this barbarous act, the expressionLemnian deeds became proverbial among the Hellenes. according to Apollonius of Rhodes' Argonautica the Argonauts landing soon after found only women in the island, ruled by Hypsipyle, daughter of the old king Thoas. From the Argonauts and the Lemnian women were descended the race called Minyans, whose king Euneus, son of Jason and Hypsipyle, sent wine and provisions to the Achaeans at Troy. According to later Greek historians, the Minyans were expelled by a Pelasgian tribe who came from Attica.
The historical element underlying these traditions is probably that the original Thracian people were gradually brought into communication with the Greeks as navigation began to unite the scattered islands of the Aegean; the Thracian inhabitants were technologically primitive in comparison with the Greek mariners.
In another legend, Philoctetes was left on Lemnos by the Greeks on their way to Troy; and there he suffered ten years' agony from his wounded foot, until Odysseus and Neoptolemus induced him to accompany them to Troy. According to Sophocles, he lived beside Mount Hermaeus, which Aeschylus makes one of the beacon points to flash the news of Troy's downfall home to Argos.

History
Prehistory
The ruins of the oldest human settlement in the Aegean Islands found so far have been unearthed in archaeological excavations on Lemnos by a team of Greek, Italian and American archaeologists at the Ouriakos site on the Louri coast of Fyssini in Moudros municipality. The excavation began in early June 2009 and the finds brought to light so far, mainly stone tools of a high quality, are from the Epipaleolithic Period indicating a settlement of hunters and gatherers and fishermen of the 12th millennium BC.
A rectangular building with a double row of stepped seats on the long sides, at the southwest side of the hill of Poliochni, dates back to the Early Bronze Age and was possibly used as a kind of Bouleuterion.[citation needed]
In August and September 1926, members of the Italian School of Archaeology conducted trial excavations on the island.[3] The overall purpose of the excavations was to shed light on the island's "Etrusco-Pelasgian" civilization. The excavations were conducted on the site of the city of Hephaisteia (i.e. Palaiopolis) where the Pelasgians, according to Herodotus, surrendered to Miltiades of Athens. There, a necropolis (ca. 9th–8th centuries BC) was discovered, revealing bronze objects, pots, and over 130 ossuaries. The ossuaries contained distinctly male and female funeral ornaments. Male ossuaries contained knives and axes whereas female ossuaries contained earrings, bronze pins, necklaces, gold-diadems, and bracelets. The decorations on some of the gold objects contained spirals of Mycenaean origin, but had no Geometric forms. According to their ornamentation, the pots discovered at the site were from the Geometric period. However, the pots also preserved spirals indicative of Mycenaean art. The results of the excavations indicate that the Early Iron Age inhabitants of Lemnos could be a remnant of a Mycenaean population and, in addition, the earliest attested refer to Lemnos is the Mycenaean Greekra-mi-ni-ja, "Lemnian woman", written in Linear B syllabic script.[4] Professor Della Seta reports:[5]
The lack of weapons of bronze, the abundance of weapons of iron, and the type of the pots and the pins gives the impression that the necropolis belongs to the ninth or eighth century B.C. That it did not belong to a Greek population, but to a population which, in the eyes of the Hellenes, appeared barbarous, is shown by the weapons. The Greek weapon, dagger or spear, is lacking: the weapons of the barbarians, the axe and the knife, are common. Since, however, this population … preserves so many elements of Mycenaean art, the Tyrrhenians orPelasgians of Lemnos may be recognized as a remnant of a Mycenaean population.
Antiquity
Homer
speaks as if there were one town in the island called Lemnos. In Classical times there were two towns, Myrina (also called Kastro) and Hephaestia, which was the chief town. Coins from Hephaestia are found in considerable number, and various types including the goddess Athena with her owl, native religious symbols, the caps of the Dioscuri, Apollo, etc. Few coins of Myrina are known. They belong to the period of Attic occupation, and bear Athenian types. A few coins are also known which bear the name of the whole island, rather than of either city.
A trace of the pre-Greek Lemnian language is found on a 6th century inscription on a funerary stele, the Lemnos stele. Lemnos later adopted the Attic dialect of Athens.
Coming down to a better authenticated period, we find that Lemnos was conquered by Otanes, a general of Darius Hystaspis. But soon (510 BC) it was reconquered by Miltiades the Younger, the tyrant of the Thracian Chersonese. Miltiades later returned to Athens and Lemnos was an Athenian possession until the Macedonian empire absorbed it.
In 197 BC, the Romans declared it free, but in 166 BC gave it over to Athens which retained nominal possession of it until the whole of Greece was made a province of the Roman Empire in 146 BC. After the division of the empire, Lemnos passed to the Byzantine Empire.

Early Modern Period
Like other eastern provinces, Lemnos changed hands between Greeks, Italians and Ottoman Turks. In 1476 the Venetians and Greek Byzantines successfully defended Kotschinos against a Turkish siege. But in 1657 Kastro was captured by the Turks after a siege of 36 days. In 1770, Kastro was besieged by Count Orlov. The famous Sufi poet Niyazi Misri was exiled here for several years during the late 17th century.
Modern Period
During the Russo-Turkish War, 1806-1812, Admiral Senyavin won the naval Battle of Lemnos off the coast. In on 8 October 1912, Lemnos became part of Greece during the First Balkan War. The Greek navy, under the command of the battleship 'Elli', took it over without any casualties from the occupying Turkish Ottoman guard who were returned to Anatolia. The day is commemorated annually by a military parade. This feat enable the Greek navy to control the Aegean and prevent the Ottoman navy from supplying its land forces by sea in Macedonia and the wider Balkan region.
Today the island of Lemnos (Limnos) has about 30 villages and settlements. The province includes the island of Agios Efstratios to the southwest which has some exceptional beaches and the only desert in Europe.
Lemnos is a military base of Greece as it stands on a strategically important part of the Aegean Sea. During the First Balkan War, the Naval Battle of Lemnos took place here on January 18, 1913, in which the Ottoman navy sought to thwart Greece's capture of Aegean islands. The Greek fleet under Admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis was in the port at Moudros when they received signals that the Turkish fleet was approaching. The Greek fleet decisively defeated the Turkish fleet, which retreated to the Dardanelles and did not go out again throughout the war. The Greek battleship Lemnos was named after this battle.
During World War I, the Allies in early 1915 used the island to try to capture the Dardanelles Straits, some 50 km away. This was done chiefly by the British and largely through the enthusiasm ofWinston Churchill. The harbour at Moudros was put under the control of British Admiral Rosslyn Wemyss, who was ordered to prepare the then largely unused harbour for operations against the Dardanelles.
The harbour was broad enough for British and French warships, but lacked suitable military facilities, which was recognized early on. Troops intended for Gallipoli had to train in Egypt; and the port found it difficult to cope with casualties of the ill-starred Gallipoli campaign. The campaign was called off in evident failure at the close of 1915. Moudros' importance receded, although it remained the Allied base for the blockade of the Dardanelles during the war.
In late October 1918, the armistice between Turkey and the Allies was signed at Moudros.
After the Red Army victory in the Russian Civil War, many Kuban Cossacks, fled the country to avoid persecution from the Bolsheviks. A notable evacuation point was the Greek island of Lemnos where 18 thousand Kuban Cossacks landed, though many later died of starvation and disease. Most left the island after a year.

Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest